- Keep Newton Beautiful
Keep Newton Beautiful
As an affiliate of Keep Georgia Beautiful and Keep America Beautiful, Keep Newton Beautiful
(KNB) provides environmental education in our community.
KNB participates in the community in the following ways:
- KNB works on projects focusing on litter prevention, beautification, recycling, and water pollution prevention.
- KNB staff and volunteers visit schools with puppet shows and other educational programs, speak at club and organizational meetings, and participate in festivals and expos.
- KNB sponsors cleanups and recycling events throughout the year.
- KNB relies on government and grant funding, private contributions, and volunteer participation.
To challenge, motivate, and inspire everyone to take responsibility for a clean and beautiful community
SAVE THE DATES FOR UPCOMING EVENTS:
THE GREAT AMERICAN CLEANUP DO OVER DAY--Saturday, April 15, kickoff at Longhorn Steakhouse
Our kickoff event on March 25 was rained out, so we are having a Do Over Day event on Saturday, April 15.
ATTENTION: This is your opportunity to get involved and help prevent litter in our community! Keep America Beautiful studies show people litter more in areas already littered because they believe no one cares. The best way to stop litterers is to show you care by keeping areas clean. The first step is cleaning up litter already there.
Organize and lead your friends and neighbors to help clean up roadside litter in Newton County. Individuals and groups can register and participate. Volunteers will meet at Longhorn Steakhouse of Covington at 9 a.m. for free breakfast and pick up of supplies and t-shirts. Then groups will go out to clean up trash at various locations.
You can choose your location or ask KNB for recommended spots. Groups of children will be placed away from busy roads in locations such as parks and playgrounds. Sign up by yourself or with a group. No group is too large or small. All are welcome! (Children under 12 must be supervised by responsible adults.) Every participant must sign release forms. Only one registration form per group is needed. Every registered group must have a designated leader to receive instructions by email and to pick up supplies for volunteers in the group.
If you can’t be there on April 15, please choose another date March 1 through May 31. You can still be a part of the cleanup! We will provide all supplies on a first registered, first-served basis. (Free breakfast for your group from KNB is available only on April 15.)
Keep Newton Beautiful representatives are glad to sign forms for students and others who are completing required community service hours.
RAIN PLAN: Breakfast and supply distribution at Longhorn will happen rain or shine. Registered groups should plan to pick up supplies and breakfast on April 15 regardless of weather conditions. In case of rain, groups may reschedule cleanup activities for another day with more suitable weather.
Please call us at 770-784-2015 if you need more information.
FREE PAPER SHRED EVENT--Monday, April 24 at the Covington Branch Library
Newton County residents can bring paper to be shredded to the left side parking lot of the Covington Branch of the Newton County Library (Floyd Street). A shred truck will shred paper on site. The event will begin at 9 a.m. and will end when the shred truck is full--or at noon--whichever comes first. We anticipate that the truck will be full between 11 and 11:30 a.m., but this is only an estimate based on participation in previous events. The truck will leave as soon as it is full, and no more paper will be accepted until the next event. Limit 5 standard- sized moving boxes per person.
This event will be contactless. All participants are asked to remain inside their vehicles. Participants should place paper in cardboard boxes in the trunks of their cars or in the beds of their trucks and allow volunteers to remove the boxes.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. If you or your company would like to help sponsor the event, please email Keep Newton Beautiful or call 678-625-5090.
RAIN PLAN: The shredding truck cannot operate in rain. In case of rain, the event will be postponed and a new date will be posted.
View the following list to prepare your materials for the event:
- Please remove any large metal clips, staples, or brads and any spiral bindings. (Regular-sized staples and paper clips do not have to be removed.)
- Please separate any thick folders or envelopes. Please do not bring paper in binders, plastic wrap, or plastic folders.
- Please do not bring paper with trash and other items mixed in.
- No non-paper materials can be accepted.
- Paper must be emptied from plastic bags and bins.
- Please bring your paper in cardboard boxes.
- If your paper is not separated or has trash in it, you will be asked to get out of line and separate it and then re-enter the line at the end.
This is an Earth Day event. All paper will be recycled!
RIVERS ALIVE--Saturday, September 30, kickoff at Longhorn Steakhouse
FREE PAPER SHRED EVENT--Monday, November 13 at the Covington Branch Library
The Newton County Board of Commissioners has hired workers to pick up litter along roadsides in our community.
If you would like to help by cleaning up roadside litter in your area, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-784-2015 to request trash bags, gloves, and vests.
If your family, neighborhood, church, scout, club, fraternity/sorority, school group, etc. would like to Adopt a Mile, please contact us.
Please help us spread the word about the importance of keeping our community clean!
- Remind your family and friends to always dispose of trash properly.
- Bag your trash securely so that it doesn't blow in the wind.
- Cover loads in the back of your pickup truck with a tarp.
- Report litter and illegal dumping.
- Keep your home and work place free of litter.
Report Littering & Illegal Dumping
Call 911 if you witness anyone littering or dumping. Many residents are hesitant to call 911, but doing so allows your complaint to be registered in the system and is the recommended and proper way to report.
Send a Message
You can Send a Message to KNB if you have any questions or concerns.